[thelist] [DHTML] Elements with the same ID

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Wed Mar 19 02:14:43 CST 2003

On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 02:45 AM, Martin wrote:
> I started reading my email from thelist and came across the message in
> reply
> to Erik's question about the id's and it came across quite derogatory.

Tee hee! I can see how the mistake was made, the Wild quote is
definitely operative.

That said, I think David's solution is better than mine as it probably
would use less processor cycles, and semantically, you are definitely
dealing with classes.

On the subject of naming conventions and semantics: Yesterday, while
mutually griping about dealing with legacy databases, an associate told
me this story:

His dad was a programmer for the military during the Vietnam war. They
would use function and variable names like F*CKER, and when challenged
on it's appropriateness, say "It's an acronyms: Function to Universally
Calculate Kilobytes in Ending Result" ... and apparently the code is
still in use today.

<tip type="Recreational Reading for Object Oriented Programmers">
Aristotle's "The Categories" asserts that language is a reflection of
reality. It goes on and on about they way things can be similar and/or
different to the point of banality ... example:

[W]e may perhaps most easily comprehend that to which a thing is
related, when a name does not exist, if, from that which has a name, we
derive a new name, and apply it to that with which the first is
reciprocally connected, as [...] when we derived the word 'winged' from
'wing'.

People that create silly errors in OO programming (including CSS) may
find some relief (and humor) in knowing that defining inheritance was
once a cutting edge philosophical concept.
</tip>
--
vanity project in progress, something like BETA 0.03:
<http://goZz.com/presents/aristotle/>