[thelist] using and presenting shared content

Chris Marsh chris at ecleanuk.com
Wed Mar 19 06:41:26 CST 2003

Karen

[..]

> Some of the content will be shared across all the sites
> including the parent site.  I have tried using <iframe> to
> pull the shared content but this is problematic as the
> vertical size of the iframe will be dependant on window size.
>  There are also problems with some MAC browsers and display
> of the iframe.
>
> I was musing over adding a string to the url link for the
> shared page and then using Request.Querystring to pull that

You don't really need the querystring info. You could just hard-code all
of the site pages and then set up each site with links to all required
pages. You could then have a line of code on every page which checks the
domain and inserts the link to the required CSS file in a (preferably)
server-side script. You *could* use javascript, but it would be less
effective. But...

> value and use it to do a Document.Write in the Body OnLoad to
> apply the correct style.  But I have never done anything of
> this order and wondered if a) it would work and b) is there a
> better way.
>
> Does anyone has any advice or any different ideas for sharing
> and presenting content.

...I would prefer to centralise the content in a database, then I could
pull it in *from* anywhere *to* anywhere I wanted. This would give me a
lot more flexibility.

Regards

Chris Marsh

"It's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers
that might be wrong."

  - Richard Feynman