[thelist] Local Storage of RSS

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Wed Mar 19 14:36:55 CST 2003

Seth Fitzsimmons wrote:

> How would you store large numbers (500,000+) of RSS documents for
> periodic local parsing or serving?

> Option 1: keep them as individual files, preferably in an organized
             directory tree.
> Option 2: As BLOBs in a relational database (despite the content of
             the RSS files not being relational).
> Option 3: In an XML database, e.g. Xindice.

Wouldn't Option 4 be to store in an RDBMS as individual fields?
like: channelID, itemId, title, link, description

Possibly using a separate table for channel attributes (channelID,
title, language, etc.).

I'd think the RDBMS overhead would be less than going through that
much content with an XML parser, but that's a guess not based on
experience with that volume of data :-)

Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.