[thelist] Delete all FP Code

Carol Stein techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Wed Mar 19 14:08:20 CST 2003

Help is on the way...

> Does anyone know of any programs that'll help me strip all FP-specific
> *crap* from the source?  I know I have a huge task ahead of me, redoing the
> entire site .. no CMS .. there will be no CMS .. that's the way it is.
First, HTML-Kit (freely downloadable last I checked, and a terrific tool)
strips FP, I think... I don't use FP myself, but recall seeing that as an
option. (It's possible the stripping is performed by an add-on, also free
to download & use once you find it.)

On most hosts you have to name the files shtml if you use an include, but
includes are DEFINITELY the way to go in recoding... You can probably use a
reg-ex editor to strip out (remove) huge amounts of stuff and replace with
appropriate includes.

Second, I have a lovely, also free tool for regex-edit type stuff: It's
called something like Back Up & Replace'Em (bkrep20.exe is the executable).
This is very powerful, with processing by folder, wild cards, etc. I used
it extensively to update my own site from ca. 1998 coding to XHTML last
spring. Note that the program will be more powerful if SOME kind of
template or regularity exists in the old pages.

If you need other resources, let me know. I normally use XyWrite (with
macros) to produce my first drafts of pages, and also normally write
programs that will update the HTML automatically. If FP restricts itself to
ASCII, perhaps I can help with some XPL (extended programming language) stuff.

Cheers --
Carol