[thelist] How to tackle this?

Sarah Heffron meatlike at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 19 17:10:10 CST 2003

I'm about to delve into a web application, using PHP and MySQL. This application is going to require a fairly complicated scheduling feature. Basically it will display a calendar for the current month with the ability to scroll back and forth between months, easily done but here's where the complicated part comes in. When the user clicks on a day, this day will turn green and connect to the database and enter that day as scheduled. Then there is also the option to click on a cancel button which would cause a day to turn red if you clicked on it and connect to the database and enter that day as cancelled. When each month is shown, the days that have already been cancelled or scheduled will be shown. I haven't done anything like this before and I'm not sure of the best way to handle it on the front-end or the back-end. I was thinking about an applet, but I don't know if that will work well. Someone also mentioned using SOAP for this, but I haven't used that at all and don't know what that would require. Any assistance in what direction I should take would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sarah