[thelist] glasshaus gone...

Elfur Logadottir elfur at elfur.is
Thu Mar 20 08:45:36 CST 2003

From: "Peter-Paul Koch"

| Besides, suppose I offer the chapter to another publisher and a Glasshaus
| curator wants to sue me, is the case decided according to British law
| (glasshaus), Dutch law (me) or the law of the country of the new
publisher
| (probably US)?

IANAL - yet, but it goes something like this:
first: it depends on the contract you signed when they hired you to write
the chapter. if the contract doesn't mention anything about dispute
settlement and since both of you are european, i would look to the Lugano
agreement, which states that breach of work obligation should be trialled
in the country where the worker resides. Since the copyright holder is
probably.
However, with regards to intellectual property (which this might be a
breach of) there is a special convention, see http://www.wto.org  select
document > legal texts and scroll down for the TRIPS.

(i'm going by memory, but am sitting a course in intl business law this
semester, and am supposed to have learned this for the exam next week)

HTH
elfur