[thelist] mysql/php - creating an index

Dunstan Orchard dunstan at 1976design.com
Thu Mar 20 16:29:34 CST 2003

Hi everyone,

I'd like to be able to show a list of everyone <cited>'d in my blog and links
to the posts in which their name appeared.

This is my plan:

[1] Do a search for any records containing '<cite>'.
[2] For each instance of <cite> that's returned extract the name using php.
[3] Add the name and postid to an array.
[4] When all records have been returned, remove any duplicate name:postid
entries in the array.
[4] When I'm done there, insert all the names and postids into a new table.

I guess this means I'll end up with a new table where one name might be listed
many times, eg:

name  postid
jo    12
bob   76
jo    22
jo    34
peter 37
bob   89

This table would be emptied and rebuilt each time I added/edited/deleted a
post.

I wonder if anyone can tell me if this looks ok, and if they have any
suggestions for the project?

Thanks very much - dunstan