[thelist] Windows Authentication in ASP.Net

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Mar 20 19:30:33 CST 2003

You may need to override IsInRole (or create your own routine that inherits
from IsInRole()) that goes to your database and returns a result based on
your custom criteria.

However, there may be simpler ways to do what you want. Here are some places
you'd probably be able to get more authorative answers:
http://aspalliance.com/lists/ (signup for the ASP.Net Security list)
or
http://www.asp.net/forums/ (there is a Security forum)

Cheers
Ken

From: "Martyn Haigh" <martyn.haigh at virgincosmetics.com>
Subject: [thelist] Windows Authentication in ASP.Net

: Hi,
:
: I'm using windows authentication in .net (c#) to make an intranet.  I'm
: getting the users details off a database according to their login name
: (DOMAIN\USER).  Within the DB I have their department and custom roles
: (finance admin, IT content updater, etc), to enable me to let certain
people
: update bits of their intranet site themselves.
:
: Is there anyway I can add my custom roles to the default roles so that :
:
: user.IsInRole("IT content updater");
:
: will work if IT content updater is in their roles list on the DB.  I know
: this can be done with forms authentication, but I'm not sure about how to
: merge the two together.
:
: Any help would be appreciated.