[thelist] Iconography - Common Elements

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Mon Mar 24 07:52:20 CST 2003

DESCHAMPS Stéphane DvSI/SICoR wrote:
> <french guy>
> FYI I don't mind a fleur-de-lys as it is thought of as Quebecian here,
> although in a strict France-to-France historical point of view the
> fleur-de-lys is associated monarchy, and since we have had a revolution and
> all that, and that in some regions of France it is still a bit touchy 200
> years afterwards, I'd go with the language descriptor rather, as was suggested
> earlier.
> </french guy>

Well, the fleurs-de-lis is part of the Quebec flag (see here:
http://www.gouv.qc.ca/Informations/Drapeau/Drapeau_en.html). But if I were
Quebecois, I'd see the using the fleurs-de-lis for French and the Canadian
flag for English, as more evidence of the English majority not considering
Quebec as part of Canada. In this model, the Canadian flag stands for Canada
(specifically *English* Canada), and Quebec isn't included in it... but
maybe I'm just sensitive.

Aren't Canadian politics fun? ;-)

Regards,
Tara