[thelist] Re: why fixing the font size is bad (info for a client)

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Mon Mar 24 15:45:47 CST 2003

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 05:31:30PM -0400, Sarah wrote:
> Mark, I understand, but the articles Rudy referred to seem more intended
> for web developers, rather than for laypeople who don't understand the
> difference between pixels, ems, keywords, etc. My client has indicated that
> they "want the site to look the same" no matter what browser, resolution,
> etc the user has.

If your client is capable in the print world I'd highly recommend
"Taking your talent to the web" by Jeffrey Zeldman.
The book's slant is how to transition from print design to web design.
There's a full chapter on CSS and a full section within that chapter on why
font sizes look different on Macs vs. PCs. If they're not
capable/comfortable in the print world they'll likely find the chapter
overwhelmingly detailed.

For the completely uninitiated, Robin Williams' "The Non-Designer's Web
Book" is great. Unfortunately she doesn't really go into as much detail as
you may need, fortunately it's really, really easy to understand.

It's plausible there's something basic at:
http://www.nypl.org/styleguide/css/guidelines3.html
http://www.webstyleguide.com/type/index.html
but you'd have to check the links..

emma