[thelist] Data: List of sub-territories/regions

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Wed Mar 26 17:12:52 CST 2003

Frank wrote:
> Can someone point me to a master list of sub-territories names, types and
> codes for the countries that might be included on the ISO 3166 list?
>
> ie: Ontario, Province, ON
> ie: Alabama, State AL

To make your life a little easier, what you're after is the specific
ISO Subdividision standard: ISO 3166-2. 3166-1 is the country codes only
(and is freely available); 3166-2 is the subdivision standard (states,
provinces, etc).

However, 3166-2 costs money, and isn't (well.. shouldn't, maybe) be freely
available.

You can buy it from here:
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/05database/index.html

Of course, you may (or may not) be able to find it elsewhere now that
you know specifically what you want (if you didn't before).

Cheers,

Paul