[thelist] ASP & weird variables...

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Thu Mar 27 18:15:25 CST 2003

Erik Bennett wrote:

> As I've stated before, I'm "enhancing" a web application for our new
> helpdesk software. The thing is, all of their pages set background
> colors and such with variables. (You know, bgcolor="<% =
> backgroundcolor %>") but yet, I can't find where these are coming
> from. They're not being set within the page. I checked the frame
> pages (yes, it's stuck in frames) and I can't find where it's coming
> from in there either. They use cookies, so is it possible all that
> info could be stored in a cookie? The other odd thing is, when you
> call a page on it's own without the frames, it still displays the
> proper backgrounds and fonts. But mine won't! ARGH!

    Keep in mind that the variable is a server-side variable, so the whole
matter of frames -- a client-side construct -- is immaterial. Do these pages
have includes? Or are the values set in an application variable or a session
variable? Check the global.asa file, if there is one, for the application to
see if the values are set there.
    It would be possible (though probably unlikely) to store the value in a
cookie, but there would have to be cookie-extraction logic in your
server-side code for this to happen. If this is the case, it is probably
being done in an include.
    Also, as an aside, I suggest that you change the use of element
attributes such as bgcolor to style sheets, unless you absolutely need
extreme backwards-compatibility with very old browsers.

James Aylard
evolt at pixelwright.com