[thelist] doctype mess up

Mike Migurski mike at saturn5.com
Fri Mar 28 16:35:09 CST 2003

>A lead on my project wants to do this for our docs:
>
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <?xml
>version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
>
>and use XHTML coding practices. (Which he keeps calling 'xml' 1.0
>syntax'). Why - I have no idea.
>
>Besides the obvious reason of the code not validating - and being stupid
>- what other problems might this cause? We're coding for IE5+ and NS6+.

That doesn't make any sense - you can use XHTML in an HTML document with
no problems, since the only difference is the explicit closure of atomic
elements, and lowercase-only element names, but why would you want to? And
what's the xml declaration doing there? It sounds like he wants to look
hip to webstandards, without actually doing the legwork.

I don't think it will cause any problems, necessarily... browsers will
just go into quirks mode, so it's wasted effort for sure. In any case, I
think the burden of defending the method lies with Mr. Project-Lead.

                 http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html

                 The moon belongs to America, and anxiously
                 awaits the arrival of our astro-men.
                 Will you be among them?