[thelist] site check please

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 31 16:36:42 CST 2003

--- Rob Smith <rob.smith at THERMON.com> wrote:

> Wow, I'd never thought I'd be doing this, but I suppose its time to
> stick my own neck out here and request a site check for:
> http://www.thermon.com

Well, you asked for it! No, just kidding. Pretty nice job Rob. Some
suggestions:

- You aren't using a DOCTYPE. Based on your code I would suggest HTML
4.01 Transitional, then validate your pages.

- When you are up for it, get rid of the frames. I don't see that you
need them.

- Why are you putting the quote forms in a popup? No need to, put
them in a regular page. The forms are very very busy, maybe one
column would be better even though it would be long. Also, you should
add your <label> tags for your form elements for accessibility and
usability.

- Your body text is a fixed font size, I could not change it. It
would be a good idea to change it to a relative size.

- Why is the 'see catalog' the only link with an icon? Do you really
need the icon? If its a very important link, which I gather it is, it
could be highlighted in other ways - first in the list, a link in an
introductory paragraph, etc.

- You might want to rething your navigation which you have both on
top and the left. Could it be reworked all on the left? I think that
if you prioritize them, some of them could go in a footer as well
(opportunities, maybe contact us).

- I'd rather see your nav links on the left left aligned, not
centered. Hard to read.

- I think you could get away with less black space above your logo in
the banner - maybe by half.

I'd say all in all nice job - I am familiar with these types of web
sites, and I know they often look like stuff done circa 1994 :).

Tom

=====
http://www.pixelmech.com/
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();

http://www.maccaws.com/

"That's not art, that's just annoying." -- Squidward