[thelist] Development Environments

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at curf.edu
Wed Apr 2 09:19:43 CST 2003

> What I want to do is implement a tri-boot system. One option would be
> XP Pro with all my development stuff installed (VS.NET, VS6.0,
> InterDev et al), one option would be XP Pro with all my entertainment
> stuff (drivers for SB Extigy, DVD software, games, anything else I
> fancy installing without fear of compromising my development
> environment), and the final option would be RedHat running as a
> server/workstation combo.

My recommendation would be to dual boot XP and RedHat, and use XP's user
accounts to differentiate between work and play...

Partition your hard drive, install RedHat into one partition, then
install XP into the other partition. Shouldn't be too difficult.

I tried having a "work" and "play" user account setup once (I'm on XP
Pro, too), and I ended up not using it. It was too much of a hassle for
me. I have to do a lot of little quick fixes as they come in via email,
and so throughout the day, I'd find myself switching user accounts 20
times, and it just got to be annoying.

Now I just learn to ignore the game shortcuts when I'm working and
vice-versa. :)

HTH!
--ken