[theList] Music Database

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Mon Jun 16 16:11:38 CDT 2003

On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 03:20  PM, fstorr wrote:
> I'm not particularly strong on either, hench my original question :)
> Can I just further enhance my ignorance here before I go back to my
> hefty MySQL tome and ask what MB and AR joins are?
>
> Francis

Those are the "Join" tables between two other tables that allow you to
create a "many to many" relationship.  Specifically those two are the
Musician/Band and Album/Record Label joins.

You know what a one-to-many relationship is, yes?  To make the one to
many relationship go both ways ("many to many") you need to put an
intermediary table in between that holds the "key" field for each of
the other two tables.  I've been referring to those as "join" tables,
though it's actually just a regular table being put to a specific use.

Good luck,
Steve

P.S. -- I was sent this off-list, but I believe the author thought I
was the one doing the music database.:

<quote>
Take a look at allmusic.com for an example of  dealing with this
problem..

A recorded music database has different levels of complexity, as you
correctly pointed out. First, what is the basic particle: a single
song, or composition? Certainly it can't be an album because of how
often material is recombined into different albums. And it isn't the
band or the musicians, because they recombine on a regular basis. And,
as you mentioned, there are albums made by many musicians - a good
example is a compilation of Kurt Weill songs called September Song.

Good luck.

Art
</quote>