[thelist] Breadcrumb theory

Daniel Fascia danfascia at totalise.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 19:52:25 CDT 2003

>> I was contemplating how to make versatile "breadcrumbs" on pages that
>> would be flexible enough that you could make them work without
>> hard-coding them into each page.  I also didn't want to depend
>> Javascript.
>>
>> Use Server-Side Includes.

If it has to be SSI then that seems to work fine but I find it a bit
laborious to set up all of those little include files

If other languages are available then I tend to build a breadcrumb trail
by exploding the URL string into chunks with a
generic script...

e.g. http://www.danfascia.com/photos/march_2003/

could be easily spliced into

home > photos > march 2003

and, with a little bit more fiddling you can easily set it up so that
the last section of the URL is checked for its extension and then
dynamically used as a page <title> which should help with search engine
relevance

http://www.danfascia.com/photos/march_2003/Skiing_In_Chamonix.html

<title>Dan Fascia: photos - Skiing In Chamonix </title>