[thelist] <!DOCTYPE >

RUST Randal RRust at COVANSYS.com
Wed Jun 18 07:37:12 CDT 2003

David Turner said:

> currently in the technical overview it says that "html code
> is produced following W3C's guidelines"

The most current recommendation for markup is XHTML 1.0, which has been
extended in XHTML Basic and XHTML 1.1 [1].

> is html 4.01 the standard i should be using? or will using
> 4.01 limit the number of browsers that users can use? should
> i be using a earlier standard? HTML 3.2 perhaps?

While you /could/ do this, I don't think that many people will recommend
it. It's taking a step backwards. Instead, move forward to XHTML, which
when written properly, can be read and parsed by all browsers.
Understand that this does not mean that you site will /look/ the same in
all browsers, just that the browser can render the markup.

> is this a good thing that i am trying to implement?

Absolutely.

[1] http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/#recommendations