[thelist] [CFMX] How to implement a search feature?

Chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Thu Jun 19 10:17:33 CDT 2003

Hello all,

I am trying to create a small search feature on my website. The search
will only encompass one table (for now), but I would like it to be able to
search several different columns.

I would also like the search to function much the same way as google does.
By this I mean that if you enter several words, it will first try to match
the words together and then it will match any of the words separatly.

However, I am not really sure how to go about doing this. So here are my
questions.

1. Is there something like the java string tokenizer in CF? A simple way
to take a string and split it into different words.

2. I know in sql you can do a search using like and the wildcard
character. Is there a way of doing this with a list.

i.e. select * from foo where col in ('%word1%', '%word2%', etc...)

and have it act in the same manner as using like?

3. Does anyone know of any good links to tutorials on doing a similiar thing?

--
Chris Johnston

chris at fuzzylizard.com
www.fuzzylizard.com