[thelist] icons for error pages?

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 11:11:16 CDT 2003

--- "Koutoulas, Pete" <PKOUTOUL at Fayette.k12.ky.us> wrote:

> Tom, sorry I can't help with the icons but I wanted to comment on
> your reluctance to use them. We as professional Web developers
> have it ingrained in our brains to avoid the gratuitous use of
> graphics because of extra download times, clutter, and a host of
> other good reasons. Heck, I spend a great deal of my time trying
> to convince our staff that no, we don't need all those little
> jumping and spinning doohickies all over the place.
>
> But this is one case where, IMHO, a tasteful icon would enhance and
> add meaning to the page. Icons are best used to give the user quick
> visual clues. Frequent users of your site will appreciate the
> icons in this case, that let them know at a glance that an error
> has occurred. Good luck.

I actually agree 100% :) I come from a Graphic Design background
(degreed in it before becoming a developer) so I have no reluctance
in that sense. What I left unsaid is that I am working with a
designer who is a *student* at this company, he is not a
professional, and he is *not* good. So that bled out into my
message..oops. It's a bit frustrating because I myself am 10 times
the designer he is, yet cannot design anything, I have to try and
direct him - yet he doesn't know how to take direction. There is no
removing him either (long story, email too long already).

My fear is that while a GOOD icon indeed does help the user - a BAD
icon/design hinders them (and hacks up the site brand even worse)...

Thus my desire for examples to show him...

Thanks!

Tom

=====
http://www.pixelmech.com/ :: Web Development Services
http://www.DMXzone.com/ :: Premium Content Author / JavaScript / Every Friday!
http://www.maccaws.com/ :: Group Leader

"That's not art, that's just annoying." -- Squidward