[thelist] @import slow loading in IE 5 Mac

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Fri Jun 20 14:12:45 CDT 2003

Okay, here's a new one to me.

I have a page using @import to link external style sheets.  At first I
was using two such links, one for a "default" sheet that all pages use,
and a second for a sheet particular to that section of the site.

I figured I could streamline things a bit by daisy-chaining the sheets
by @import-ing the section-specific sheet into the page, and having
that style sheet @import the default.css

It works just fine except...  MSIE 5 for Mac loads the pages really
slow now.  Nothing whatsoever appears for about fifteen seconds or so,
and then the entire page appears all at once.   This is loading fairly
small pages from Localhost -- no issues of network speed -- and it
works as before in all other browsers I tried.

Has anyone encountered this before?  Is there a fix  (other than going
back to the old linking method)?

Thanks,
Steve