[thelist] ADSL Connection Troubles

Lucy Hawker lucy.hawker at easynet.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 06:44:53 CDT 2003

Hi,

My ADSL set-up has broken!

I am using Zen ADSL and connect just using a USB modem (on Windows 2000).
Although my connection has been working fine for months I am suddenly
getting an error and can't connect.  I think the problem is with my set-up,
rather than my ADSL provider, although I'm not sure.  I don't really know
anything about networking and Internet connections and am really stuck about
what to do - any help would be much appreciated.

When I try to dial up to the connections it fails to open the port.  I get
message "Error 638: The request has timed out.".  On clicking "More Info" it
says "An internal error occurred. Restart your computer to make sure that
all recent configuration changes have taken effect." (Obviously I've tried
re-starting several times!)

The problem is that I don't think I've changed any settings so I don't know
what could be wrong.  I have been spent some time getting my 2 computers
networked with a crossover cable and adjusting my firewall software to share
the internet connection - but it has worked ok since then.  I've tried
turning my firewall software off completely but it doesn't help.  The modem
is definitely plugged and I've switched it on and off!

I don't really know what else to try.  I've looked at help files, but they
don't help me!  Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Lucy

Lucy Hawker
mailto:lucy.hawker at easynet.co.uk