[thelist] [tip] Macromedia even forgets (encoding user input)

Aredridel aredridel at nbtsc.org
Wed Jun 25 17:30:55 CDT 2003

> the thing to do is *not* to try "stripping out the bad characters" but
> rather defining as small as possibly a set of allowed characters for
> each bit of input, and rejecting anything that contains anything else.
> ASCII has a lot of funny stuff in it, and unicode... oh my god.

A good reference on what to expect as valid in many cases is RFCs --
email addresses are mentioned in RFC 2822, and there's others for other
protocols.  People rejecting bad input makes others fix software, so we
end up with fewer bugs in software in general if we're less accepting of
error, even in non-human interaction.

Ari