[thelist] Website Navigation Examples

Alexander C. Garcia Alexander at Garcia.Name
Sat Jun 28 11:35:40 CDT 2003

Adam

  Well, IMHO I really liked it. I am well aware of the 'mystery meat'
navigation criticism and agree it can be a problem. But in this case, I
though it was well though out and intuitive, e.g. the calendar on the desk
liked to the calendar, the phone to the contact page, the world poster, to
the network page, etc., etc. That and it was different compared to all the
other sites in general.

  It also still provided a menu above, which was a good touch. As for the
need for PDA's, cell phones, etc. you could write up a new page for them via
WML, and you can still make it accessible by following the W3C guidelines
for accessibility.  Again, that's just my opinion though.

Peace be with you.

Alexander Garcia
Alexander at Garcia.Name

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org]On Behalf Of Paul Bennett
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 11:51 PM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] Website Navigation Examples

Adam George wrote:

>Does anyone know of good examples of this sort of web navigation?
>(And incidentally what terminology best describes it):
>http://www.upstreamasia.com

"mystery meat navigation":
http://www.fixingyourwebsite.com/mysterymeat.

or 'a nightmare for search engines and people on alternate browsers
(phones, pda's, screen reader software etc etc etc)'

or 'why some graphic designers need to get out from behind thgeir
WYSIWYG's and leanr what the web is actually about'

my first instainct was to look at the top menu and think 'What does he
mean by "this sort of web navigation"? - It's just a menu". If you
hadn't said that there was something interesting about it, I never would
have found the other links hidden in the images, I would have gone on
thinking it was just an overcomplex pretty picture and gone away. As it
is, I went away anyway, as there wasn't much behind those hidden links.
Probably just as well

--
        Paul Bennett
Email: paul at teltest.com
Phone: 64 4 237 4557
Web: http://www.teltest.com
Wap: http://wap.teltest.com

http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/

Evolt.org conference in London, July 25-27 2003.  Register today at
http://evolt.org.uk