[thelist] wish list

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 10:11:16 CDT 2003

--- Rob Smith <rob.smith at THERMON.com> wrote:
> >An LCD monitor only lasts 2 years?  Is this normal?
>
> Quite possibly true. Tha guys here were discussing this a few weeks
> ago. Be warned some things may not be under warranty such as if a
> pixel goes out. You're stuck with a irremovable black dot on your
> screen. You'll eventually replace it. Personally, IMHO, I'm
> waiting about 5-10 more years to do the Liquid Crystal Display
> thing. Until then, I'm happy with tha good ol' cathode ray tube
> (1280 x 1024 - 19" Dell Trinitron UltraScan P1110). After
> it warms up a little its fine.

Well, for one - in 5-10 years LCD technology will be OLD and we will
be using something far better. They're working on it already. Or, LCD
Technology will be very different and way way better.

Either way - the benefits from my point of view of the LCD far
outweigh the old style monitor. I work at home sometimes, where I am
extremely cramped. If I had to but a CRT monitor on my desk, my
keyboard would be in my lap :). It also seems to throw off less heat,
and I don't bust open my spine when I want to move the thing.

I paid a whopping $300 for it. In two years, I will have something
new (probably in fact, in 1 year) and I won't keep that one for more
than a year or two either. So I'm not too concerned about it lasting
for 5-10 years. I don't know about you guys, but I turn all my
equipment over roughly on a semi-annual basis. My computer is my
livelihood, so I keep it up to date as much as possible.

So long story short, what he says is true - but the same might be
said for many CRT monitors too - you can have a problem that isn't
covered under warranty and yer stuck :shrug: - has nothing to do with
the type of monitor IMHO.

Have fun!

Tom

=====
http://www.pixelmech.com/ :: Web Development Services
http://www.DMXzone.com/ :: Premium Content Author / JavaScript / Every Friday!
http://www.maccaws.com/ :: Group Leader

"That's not art, that's just annoying." -- Squidward