[thelist] [long] PHP and Apache, each in a box. Possible?

Steve Lewis nepolon at worlddomination.net
Tue Jul 1 14:16:49 CDT 2003

M.G. Noriega wrote:

>It's a fair large company, whose intranet was built by us. Right now,
>it's two twin servers and a load balancer. Today they phoned me asking
>about wanting to set up a third server, which would be accesible from
>internet (maybe for a public show of the intranet or something) but they
>wished to install only Apache and let the already existing php do the
>magic.

Given that PHP is not network-aware service by itself, I do not see how
you can have Apache on one machine talk to PHP directly on another
machine.  Not knowing more about your environment, I will try to cover
as many details as I can.  If anyone else sees options I missed or
errors in my thinking please do share. :)  I am somewhat confused by the
premise of the question, however.  You do not mention a MySQL or other
database engine and usually PHP is used with dynamic content from a
database as well as for the scripting power available to interpret
dynamic incoming requests.  Are you storing dynamic content on the file
system?  Are you using PHP to rewrite other PHP scripts? If you say yes
to either of these cases than there are special concerns we find below.

The model, as I see it.
1) Apache passes requests to PHP (either as a CGI or as a module
compiled into Apache)
2) The PHP scripts interpret the request and generate a response.  This
could involve the following steps.

2a) The PHP scripts may query a database.
2b) The database responds to the queries from PHP.
2c) PHP would then integrate the query results into the response.

3) PHP passes the response to Apache.
4) Apache transmits the response over the network,

Apache must be able to hand off the request to PHP at step 1 above.  PHP
is not a socket-aware server daemon, it is either a module to Apache, or
it is a stand-alone application that is executed by Apache with each
request (CGI mode).  Apache must be able to "run" PHP so Apache must be
able to see the filesystem that PHP and your script files are sitting
on.  If you are in the *nix world, this can be achieved with a shared
file system (read up on NFS or Network File System) to share the PHP
executable and the scripts that PHP will read.  In the Windows world,
you could create a shared folder, map that folder as a networked drive
on the other server, and access it normally.  Using NFS or a shared
folder would mean that there was only one copy of the PHP scripts to
maintain.  If you are storing dynamic content on the file system or
using PHP to rewrite other PHP scripts, this is your optimal solution.
You would likely want to be careful of security issues, of course.

Another option, if you do not like the NFS/shared folder scenario would
be to create an automated scripted process which would copy files from
one server to the other.  Look at using cron to execute a CVS update as
an option in the *nix world.  I don't know what to recommend for the
Windows world.  You could potentially script 'backups' to be made from
the first server, and restored on the other.  This option is better
suited to an as-needed batch process and not well suited for dealing
with dynamic content on the file system.

A third option, which defeats the purpose of load balancing, would be to
have the second Apache server send a request to the first Apache server,
and then forward that response (making sure to strip the headers
returned by the first Apache server).  There may be other options that I
am missing.

If you have a database system like MySQL storing dynamic content than
you have more options.  Relational database management systems /are/
network-aware applications.  Any number of Apache + PHP systems can send
database requests to a single database server, or different database
servers as needed, in the process of generating their responses.  This
option allows you to run, for instance, two Apache + PHP servers
connecting to one MySQL server which uses your 'live' database.  Then
you could have a third Apache + PHP server connecting to the /same/
MySQL server, using your 'demo' database (and using a different MySQL
username/password for security), or maybe even using your 'live'
database.  Another twist would be to put the MySQL server daemon on one
of the first two Apache servers.  This would make no significant impacts
on how the model works.

HTH,
Steve