[thelist] Exchange 2k unable to relay

Tab Alleman Tab.Alleman at MetroGuide.com
Wed Jul 2 11:50:59 CDT 2003

Hate to trouble you with this, but my network badmin seems to be
baffled.

I have ASP scripts that use COM objects (Simplemail and CDOSYS) to send
emails.  When they send them to local email addresses, they work fine.
When they try to send them to valid emails outside of our network, they
generate an error:

"Unable to relay for <the email address>"

I know from a previous shop that there is some kind of security setting
on our Exchange server (Win2k) that needs to be toggled to allow COM
objects to send emails, but I haven't been able to find it so far.

Anybody?