[thelist] Exchange 2k unable to relay

Tab Alleman Tab.Alleman at MetroGuide.com
Wed Jul 2 15:11:38 CDT 2003

Chris W. Parker wrote:
> Tab Alleman <mailto:Tab.Alleman at MetroGuide.com> wrote:
>
>> "Unable to relay for <the email address>"
>>
>> I know from a previous shop that there is some kind of security
>> setting on our Exchange server (Win2k) that needs to be toggled to
>> allow COM objects to send emails, but I haven't been able to find it
>> so far.

> I'm not at my exchange server right now but under the SMTP virtual
> server you'll want to modify the Relay Restrictions. Normally people
> just prevent relaying altogether by choosing "Only from the list
> below" and leaving "the list below" empty. You need to add the ip
> address of the server that is trying to do the sending to that list.

Ok, I am terminalled into my exchange server right now, and I can't for
the life of me find anything that looks like "SMTP Virtual Server".

There's an "Exchange System Manager" icon on the desktop.  Couldn't find
anything useful in there.
There's no SMTP server in Administrative Tools>Internet Services
Manager.

I found an msdn article that pretty much describes the same fix you did,
but the article starts with "Right-click the new SMTP virtual server and
click Properties."  ...like I'm supposed to know how to find this fabled
SMTP virtual server.  The badmin is incommunicado for the day, so I'm on
my own on this one.