[thelist] complete: hacking contest

rytames at telusplanet.net rytames at telusplanet.net
Wed Jul 2 21:41:27 CDT 2003

On 2 Jul 2003 at 19:48, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 02:40:55PM -0700, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> > http://www.msnbc.com/news/934055.asp?vts=070220031110&cp1=1
>
> That's cracking, NOT hacking. Hacking is not about vandalism.

So true...

Hacking is about community, sharing, and growth. That little tool,
that you cannot do with out. Hacking is not about crime,
its about gurus, spending their time, doing what they love.
Hacking is about learning, and morals, and freedom to change
the code, to something else. Hacking, I find is about problem
solving, and there is no doubt, that if you are called a hacker,
then in due time, you may find, zen has its place, with in you;
Oh that masterful beauty you create, hacker, go on forward, to
the fountain of dreams, and hack your way, into what some
might say, immortality.

ahhh, well, looks as though I just wrote the first verse
to an 'ode of the hack'. Excuse me, i'm just in a good mood.

Ryan.