[thelist] complete: hacking contest

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Wed Jul 2 23:45:15 CDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 08:28:52PM -0700, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> Ok, I'm with you. A person could of course be both a hacker AND a cracker right?

Technically, yes. Morally, no. The dude who spray paints his gang tag on
my garage is NOT likely to also volunteer at the after-school homework
club. (Slightly bad example because of youth peer pressure being what it
is.) I doubt you will ever find a cracker getting offended at being called
a hacker. ... try putting it the other way around and you're left with a

> > They probably get it wrong for the same reason that some people don't
> > bother to wrap text at 70-80 characters in their emails ... They
> > don't care, and or the don't know that it's a problem.
>
> First of all, I've only had TWO people (you and someone else on the RedHat list) complain about the line lengths, and lets see, I've been on this list for almost two years if not longer without any complaints? Sounds fishy.. (do you know that guy?) ;)

I didn't actually complain about you, I just suggested ... ;)

> Unless I can get Outlook to do it automatically there is no way I am about to manually break each line. In the meantime may I suggest you get a better client. (Btw, what exactly are you using?)

I certainly don't expect you to break up each line individually! And my
mail client is a perfectly good one. I use a program called mutt.
www.mutt.org "All mail clients suck. This one just sucks less." If you
have a way to view the full headers of an email you can see which program
a person is using by the X-Mailer header. Assuming of course the mailer
has set it. I have a feeling I don't set my X-Mailer header.

> Although the link you provided looked very promising it only had info for Outlook 98 and I've got 2000. I did however find out how to sort emails by thread, hopefully it will work properly.

http://www.lemis.com/email/fixing-outlook.html (ironically it's a BSD/open
source documentation site)
http://www.slipstick.com/mail1/longline.htm
http://www.frontierfleet.net/email/howto.php?prog=outlook