[thelist] Object/Embed for RealPlayer in XHTML what to do?

Alexander C. Garcia Alexander at Garcia.Name
Thu Jul 3 09:01:54 CDT 2003

Greg

  I've seemed to recall that the same problem happens when you want to embed
a flash movie. Since you must use <object> and <embed> it won't validate. It
doesn't that is, until I found this article.

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/flashsatay/

  It describes how to markup the page and have it work both on IE and NN and
*still* validate. Now I suppose you could use the same technique for your
real player movies. I haven't tried this, so I can't speak from experience.
But it can't hurt to give it a shot. Let me know what happens!

Peace be with you.

Alexander Garcia
Alexander at Garcia.Name

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org]On Behalf Of Gregory Wostrel
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 4:25 PM
To: Evolt
Subject: [thelist] Object/Embed for RealPlayer in XHTML what to do?

OK, here is my quandary:
I am trying to bring a large, very old style (lots of <font>, <b>,
nested tables, no DocTypes etc etc), site into XHTML/CSS compliance.
Most of the job is just wading through and redoing. However, there is a
large amount of the site that consists of a page that loads with a
study guide as text and a lecture playing in an embedded RealPlayer. It
works pretty well, but of course what controls it is something like
this:

<object classid="clsid:CFCDAA03-8BE4-11cf-B84B-0020AFBBCCFA"
height="124" width="264" align="left">

<param name="src" value="micah1a.rpm" />

<param name="autostart" value="-1" />

<param name="console" value="clip1" />

<param name="attr" value="value" />

<param name="controls" value="all" />

<embed align="left" height="124" src="media/micah1a.rpm"
type="audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin" width="264" console="clip1"
controls="all" autostart="true" attr="value" />

</object>

So I have a thorny one left over from the "browser wars". IE
understands Object, Netscape needs Embed and the pages as they exist
will not validate. We also get a steady trickle of people who have
trouble with the audio, but that could be anything.

So what to do? I could back off of XHTML and it gets a little better,
or I could just not care about the validating. But my conscience nags
at me. I am supposed to care, I figure, and I want it to be the best it
can be.

Any advice from experts?

Gregory Wostrel

gwcreative
http://www.gwcreative.com/
gw at gwcreative.com
401.286.9228
Communications and the Art of Simplicity

http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/

Evolt.org conference in London, July 25-27 2003.  Register today at
http://evolt.org.uk