[thelist] mIRC

Aredridel aredridel at nbtsc.org
Thu Jul 3 19:22:36 CDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 15:53, Nan Harbison wrote:
> I have mIRC on my computer too, it is an ini file. I think
> I got it when my daughter was going to questionable sites.
> I get about 150 pop up ads, or more, an hour now that are
> getting by my pop up ad blockers. When I googled for it, I
> found that it is an Internet Chat Relay program.
> I have to remove random programs from my computer almost
> everyday now, that are porn, gambling and shopping
> programs, I think related to the mIRC thing. Is there
> software out there that prevents programs from being
> installed on your computer without your knowledge or
> permission? I would pay for this!

With windows 2000, it's quite possible, using policy restrictions.

Enjoy the barrel of fun that results, though.  It's hell to administer.

I usually reccomend both preventative steps (set your security right,
and I install Mozilla and use that where possible), and I reccomend
running "SpyBot Search & Destroy" (http://security.kolla.de) regularly,
and using the immunize function.  It's a great and free program.