[thelist] ASP: More Selective Select

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Jul 4 00:19:49 CDT 2003

My apologies.

If you're talking about objects in a database, then I agree: don't embed the
type in the name. Usually there's:
(a) plenty of documentation handy about what the type is
    -and-
(b) most modern databases have visual tools that will quickly tell you what
the type is

I was talking about writing code (and variables contained therein).

Cheers
Ken

----- Original Message -----
From: "rudy" <r937 at interlog.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2003 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: [thelist] ASP: More Selective Select

: > : can't remember whether you declared MaxEmployeeSalary
: > : as a number or a string?  perhaps your methodology needs
: > : an overhaul
: >
: > ...and the guy that takes over your job (or your co-workers on the
: > development team), maintaining your old code, will love you for not
using
: > Hungarian notation (or some kind of naming system...)
:
: ken, i can't figure out if that was sarcasm or not
:
: are you saying that hungarian notation is advisable?  or isn't?
:
: i say it isn't
:
:
: see, in my world, a column called MaxEmployeeSalary has *gotta* be
numeric,
: because it's a Salary field
:
: LastName?  string, because it's a Name
:
: IsActive?  tinyint, with values 0 or 1 (it wants to be a boolean, but i
: won't let it)
:
: we are verging awfully close to a topic that data modellers love to talk
: about -- domains (although i have yet to see a data modeller, myself
: included, actually convince a DBA to implement them)
:
: in any case, if you forget what the datatype of a field is, just look it
up
:
: y'all work with data dictionaries and/or schema scripts, right?
:
:
: rudy
:
: --
: * * Please support the community that supports you.  * *
: http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/
:
: Evolt.org conference in London, July 25-27 2003.  Register today at
http://evolt.org.uk
:
: For unsubscribe and other options, including the Tip Harvester
: and archives of thelist go to: http://lists.evolt.org
: Workers of the Web, evolt !