[thelist] RE: mIRC

Chris Nimmo chris.nimmo at stl.org
Fri Jul 4 02:18:30 CDT 2003

As I'm sure most of you know, mIRC is simply a chat program. I have used it for many years, as do a lot of other people, and my computer has not behaved any differently.

What's worrying is that I recently got a new computer and downloaded the latest version of mIRC from the website (www.mirc.com) and Sophos Anti-Virus found a virus in mirc.exe. My old computer was "protected" (although I'm beginning to doubt its efficiency) by PC Cillin and it never complained about mIRC.exe.

However, despite this my computer shows no signs of being infected. Is it possible that since mIRC contains features such as DCC and ip lookup that Sophos Anti-Virus has mistaken it for a virus? It's hard to believe that the official mIRC website would contain an infected file that hadn't been fixed for months.

150 pop ups an hour?? I can't imagine anything worse.

(Except 151)

Chris