[thelist] hackers (was complete: hacking contest)

Chris Marsh chris at ecleanuk.com
Mon Jul 7 03:30:11 CDT 2003

[..]
> Personally, I don't think that hackers need to be anti-social or gurus

> verging on the edge of madness.  Hacking and the hacker ethic to me is

I may not have expressed myself well enough here. I didn't mean to
suggest that hackers are *required* to exhibit certain character traits;
but a greater understanding of a number of subjects would naturally
render an individual unwilling to spend large chunks of free time with
willfully ignorant groups of people.

> about being curious about things.  Figuring out how things work.  The
> desire to tear apart or break things so that they can be built better.

> Finding unintended uses for things.  That to me is the core.  Around

Absolutely.

> that their are many and varied personalities like in any group of
> people; from RMS to the Woz.  But my view is based on the old ideal
> and listening to "Off the Hook" too much.  :)

Regards

Chris Marsh