[thelist] Using   v.

Roger Ly evolt at matchpenalty.com
Tue Jul 8 17:49:59 CDT 2003

Quick question for y'all.

XML doesn't support the   entity for a space character, but it does
support its corresponding numeric entity of

Is   supported by all browsers (at least as much as   is)?

I need to store/preserve spaces in my XML, but then I transform that
data into HTML, so I need to transform the plain spaces into some entity
so the browsers don't truncate all my spaces.  I had been using
to do this, but since the MS XML parser doesn't support  , I need
to find an alternative.

I don't want to do translation-time conversion of plain text spaces to
 , I would rather that the translation happens when I serialize my
XML doc to disk.

I had thought about adding a custom DOCTYPE to the top of all my XML
docs so the processors would recognize   as   and leave them
alone, but that adds the overhead of adding this DOCTYPE to all my XML
docs.

I've tested out   in a few browsers, including some older NS ones,
and it seems fine.  I'm pretty sure that it should be supported, but I
don't know the best reference to prove/disprove my theory.

Thanks,

Roger