[thelist] [JS] hilite function for in-page link

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Wed Jul 9 09:37:12 CDT 2003

Stephen Caudill wrote:

 >So my thought was to simply change the color of the question once
 > a link had been clicked...

> function hilite(IDhref){
> 	var lenID = IDhref.length
> 	var strID = IDhref.substring(1,lenID);
	alert(strID);
> 	document.getElementById(strID).style.color = 'blue';
> }
>
> and called it like so:

The alert() inserted above shows that your IDhref value is actually
'http://www.mccinnovations.com/support/faq_test.asp#contact' rather
than just '#contact'; so strID is
'ttp://www.mccinnovations.com/support/faq_test.asp#contact'

I'd suggest that, rather than substring() you use
	var strID = IDhref.split('#');
	document.getElementById(strID[1]).style.color = 'blue';

Couple minor things: 'blue' isn't very distinctive, since your links
are also blue; if it were me, I'd set the background-color to yellow,
or something a little more obvious.

And don't forget you'll also need to turn *off* the selection when a
user stays in the same page and clicks on another link :-)

HTH!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.