[thelist] Password "Protection"

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Thu Jul 10 08:43:04 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Morris" <thelist at web-designers.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 9:30 AM

>I've already said that there would be nothing to stop the visitor from
>bookmarking the (freely accessible) web site once they're there anyway, but
>presumably what we'd need is some method to seek a password in the form
>Xnnnnn that takes the visitor to a redirect page?

>Sounds like a JavaScript job?

When dealing with Passwords of any sort (including BS passwords such as
this) your better bet is server-side.  If you put the logic in JS any
schmuch that's been through programming 101 will be able to sort it out.

If you do the checking serverside, you'll also be able to avoid the
bookmarking problem by using session varaibles to record whether or not the
person has entered a "suitable passcode".  For any page on the site, if they
have not entered it, redirect to the login page.

HTH,

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.