[thelist] what are your opinions on using frames?

Norman Bunn norman.bunn at craftedsolutions.com
Thu Jul 10 13:05:54 CDT 2003

>Iva Koberg <mailto:iva at livestoryboard.com> wrote:
>
>[snip]
> > Am I missing some pro-frame arguments here?

I find some places where frames are especially valuable and the search
engine issue can be gotten around by simply using:

- the <NOFRAMES> tag to post searchable content
- a robots.txt file and <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX,NOFOLLOW"> to
handle the engine searches.

There are also
<http://javascript.internet.com/navigation/force-frames.html> which forces
a page opened outside of its containing frame to be forced to the framed page.

IMHO, frames are just another tool at our disposal and, like any tool, they
can be used appropriately or inappropriately.  I prefer to have a full tool
set at my disposal and try to stay away from categorizing tools as bad and
good.  I think it is much more beneficial to understand the pros and cons
of using any tool and then select the best ones for the job at hand.

Now where is that screwdriver?  In need to dig some post holes. :)

Norman
www.CraftedSolutions.com
803-405-1008