[thelist] What is the Best Practice for Single Page Redirects?

Pat Meeks pmeeks at msn.com
Thu Jul 10 21:38:04 CDT 2003

Mark:

I just need something clarified about this...

> And most importantly, using a 301 (permanent redirect) is what Google
prefers.
> That server response code has been around a long time and the 90% figure
is
> prolly really low, thinking about it, any stat you get for a Flash plugin
would also
> work for this thread, as any browser that can handle that plugin surely
will also
> know what a 301 response from a web server is. MM says like 98% for Flash
or
> sumthin'.

>From the horses mouth:

>http://www.google.com/webmasters/3.html
which says..."Once your new site is live, you may wish to place a permanent
redirect (using a "301" code in HTTP headers) on your old site to inform
visitors and search engines that your site has moved...."

Question:
I do my permaent redirects in .htaccess files on an Apache server using
PermanentRedirect (aka 301). Is this the same as putting a "301 code in in
HTTP headers", and will Google note the change and change it in their index?

Many thanks, Pat