[thelist] CF: De-duplicating Arrays

Frank lists at frankmarion.com
Tue Jul 15 04:56:33 CDT 2003

I'm trying  to  de-duplicate an a 2D array by it's first dimension. I'm
sure that I could do some big complex work around by converting it back to
lists. I imagine that when we're dealing with large arrays that it would be
memory as well as CPU intensive. I'm specifically trying to minimise the
overhead on this.

Example:

I want to take an array that looks like this
myArr[i][1] = #fruit#;
myArr[i][2] = #type#;

    [Apples] [Macintosh]
    [Pears] [Green]
    [Oranges] [Mandarin]
    [Pears] [Japanese]

And convert it to

    [Apples][[Macintosh]]
    [Pears] [Green]
    [Oranges] [Mandarin]

I don't particularly care about the second dimension, in this case.  If
someone knows how, that's nice, but it's not important  for now.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to how I might proceed?

--
Frank Marion     lists at frankmarion.com      Keep the signal high.