[thelist] regex in javascript

Kristof Neirynck k.neirynck at belgacom.net
Wed Jul 16 13:30:08 CDT 2003

David Turner wrote:
> hi gurus,
>
> i was looking at a regex for a phone number in javascript, that was failing
> and somebody told me that he thought this was due to a bug in javascript in
> IE.
>
> does this sound possible? and if this is the case what do people do for
> checking forms? do you do all the form validation on the server? are there
> any links to sites with more info about this potentially very serious bug in
> ID. or have i been mis-informed, and it is safe to use javascript regex's
> for validating forms.

It's hard to tell what your problem is without seeing your code.
The reference you need:
<http://devedge.netscape.com/library/manuals/2000/javascript/1.3/reference/regexp.html>

I don't know of any bugs in msie RegExp support in javascript.

Checking forms should happen server side, javascript can be turned off.

Kristof