[thelist] Need Mac and IE5x Menu Check plus (revised request).

Pat Meeks pmeeks at msn.com
Thu Jul 17 23:24:52 CDT 2003

Kathy:

> No jump in Mac N7- MSIE5.2 ... still does in Safari. Have you tried
> setting the bgcolor to the same as the bg image?

It's just a colored td (18px high), with a small, 10px x 18px gif that gives
the illusion of a rounded corner attached to the style. I gave the text and
image a white-space: nowrap to finish the fake. This way, I keep the image
tag out of the page. Doesn't work in NN4.x, but neither does nowrap, so they
just see a colored rectangle. Sure hope it's not the nowrap causing problems
in Safari. .

Hassan mentioned the bad CSS in the query div...maybe safari is responding
to that. So, I put the form tags on the outside of the entire head, and then
got rid of the bad CSS. The heading menu now looks the same across nn7, moz
1.4, opera7 and ie6, and the html validates also. I just finished uploading
all the changes.

I wonder if this solved Safari's jumping problem? If not, it must be that
100% height thing in the all.css, but I don't know a work-around for that.
Without it, I can't get the hover to display higher/lower than the link text
and will have to use a plain hover.

> Is there anyway you can re-scale the logos so that they are about the
> same size? Or just "grin and bear it" and have the space-holder the
> same size, regardless -- then have the text always start in the same
> place? I think the benefit of "not jumping" would over-ride the
> negative of white space. (Others may disagree!)

Kathy, you're so correct on this. It just can't jump. To add to the problem,
just noticed that browser do show slight differences in the spacing between:
and
So, trying to space anything with <br /> and &nbsp; tags has been purged
from my brain. They don't work if spacing is critical. Ha, maybe I should
make it a <tip>?

I'll go back and see if I can set a common height on the logos (thanks for
the idea). I can always add white space to the logos if needed -- that's a
quick fix. From there, it should be easier. I'm going to play with that as
soon as I correct my links per your suggestion (oh, and adding focus also).
As soon as the site goes up, I'll go back and condense the style sheets and
learn to use the benefits of cascading (this is the most CSS I've every
attempted) and improve accessibility (scope in the data tables, etc.). I
made everything but the go button in % for people with poor eyesight. I need
a full nights sleep for that!

Thanks a million for the suggestions and the look-see in Safari. I feel it
should be getting closer to working now. If not, it must be with Safari. W3C
said the style sheets were ok.

http://home.earthlink.net/~measureone/tools_supplies_training/

Again, thanks for everything. I'm more relaxed now that help has arrived!
Pat