[thelist] auto-increment with mysql

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Fri Jul 18 11:02:23 CDT 2003

Dan Romanchik <mailto:dan at danromanchik.com>
    on Thursday, July 17, 2003 6:03 PM said:

> It definitely does not make sense to have it start over. You could
> lose a lot of data that way.

Ok so an unsigned int in mysql is 4,294,967,295. I doubt highly that
this database even after 3 years of use will ever get near there. (And I
don't imagine this will even be used for 3 years.)

What does someone do once the limit /is/ reached assuming they didn't
use the proper length range in the first place? What would be the next
step you take if not to start back at 1?

I guess you could just go with an unsigned BIGINT:

18,446,744,073,709,551,615

:)

Chris.