[thelist] Re: (apparently) Unclosed database connections

Bruce MacKay b.mackay at massey.ac.nz
Sat Jul 19 06:23:58 CDT 2003

Thanks folks for the responses.

An error message which I've rightly/wrongly associated with the onset of
server lockup is of the form....

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01fb'
An exception occurred: 'open'
/studyhome.asp, line 50

I googled this message tonight and the few answers available also mentioned
MDAC version

For completeness,
studyhome.asp....
================================
	call sbMakeAConnection(csMainDatabase,1)
     sqlstring = "SELECT messageID FROM messages WHERE
(receiverID='"&studentID&"' AND messagedate > "&fnSQLTime(messageevent)&"
AND message_read=False);"
     rs.open sqlstring   <-------- line 50
==================================

sub sbMakeAConnection(byVal db,byVal rset1)
     set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
	conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source="& csDatabasePath
& db & ".mdb"
     if rset1=1 then
     	set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
     	set rs.ActiveConnection = conn
         rs.CursorType = adOpenForwardOnly
         rs.LockType = adLockReadOnly
     end if
end sub

I set rset to 1 when I'm pulling a recordset from the database, 0
otherwise.  If I read your example correctly Ken, my code structure should
protect me against implicitly opened connections.

Thanks again - will check the MDAC version

Bruce