[thelist] PHP Perl Apache security

Keith cache at dowebscentral.com
Mon Jul 21 01:28:52 CDT 2003

At 06:27 PM Sunday 7/20/2003, Ari wrote:

>Also a bit more powerful, since the processes are truly separate, even
>config files.
>
>It's also the tried-and-true prefork MPM, not threaded.  That's
>important for many PHP extensions, which are not nice with threads.
>
>Apache's prefork MPM lets you have a pool -- min and max. That should be
>plenty tunable -- just keep one spare initially, and set max to
>something reasonable.

Your mod_proxy "hack" looks like it is a different way to accomplish the
same isolation as perchild, but the above 3 points do seem to be an
improvement over perchild. Especially the "tried-and-true" comment,
considering that after 2 years of development Apache still does not
actually recommend using perchild. Don't take my "hack" comment as
derisive, afterall, Apache itself is just a bundle of patches and hacks.

Think I'll give it a try Ari, THANKS!!

Keith
cache at dowebscentral.com