[thelist] Atomz Search

Stuart Young syoung at unitec.ac.nz
Tue Jul 22 17:39:36 CDT 2003

I like atomz too, and I direct my students towards it.
The most difficult thing about setting up the free version is finding
the link on the page!
However the Atomz free service has a limit of 500 pages so I use
master.com for sites with more pages since the free version allows upto
6000 pages.

Here are the notes on site search services that I give my students:
Adding a Site Search Engine

http://www.atomz.com/
Perfect for a small site - free, no ad's, but only up to 500 pages
http://sitelevel.whatUseek.com/
Pretty good, up to 1000 pages free, and only seems to be upto 3
sponsored text links. But doesn't schedule indexing.
http://www.master.com/texis/master/app/apps.html
Free, no ads or sponsored links, limit of 30Mb or 6000 pages, weekly
indexing and can request an index
http://www.fusionbot.com/default.htm
Shit, only 250 pages indexed in free service with ads, indexes only
monthly!
http://www.mondosoft.com/http://www.searchbutton.com/
Professional product - for sites running on multiple servers claims to
be only frames capable site search have to ask for a free trial - some
one will contact you to "build the Mondo engine"
http://pinpoint.netcreations.com/
Very simple and amatuerish search engine
http://www.picosearch.com/
Free service may have sponsored links, indexes 1500 pages, premium only
US$17/month
http://siteminer.mycomputer.com/
No free service and US$19.99/month service is only 1500 pages!
http://www.google.com/services/free.html
Ads of course, and you must also display a search the WWW with google
option too. but no mention of limits.

Important Features of Site Search Services

Limit to Pages (or MB) Indexed
Index Frequency
Index on demand Frequency
Ads on Results Page
Search Engine Logo on Results Page
Reporting
Customize Results Page
Auto-Sitemap
Auto-WhatNews
Tech. Support
Index PDF Documents
Index Password Protected Content
Monthly Fee

Dr Stuart Young,       +64 (0)9-815 4321 Ex 8656
<syoung at unitec.ac.nz>
Lecturer, School of Computing and Information Technology,
UNITEC Institute of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand

"Have I lost faith in Microsoft? Yes, completely, I no
longer care or believe any claim or announcement they
make. I am not interested in their latest and greatest
version of anything."

>>> andy at message.uk.com 22/07/2003 23:58:55 >>>
We needed a search facility on our new site but I really didn't have
the time to roll our own or even mess around installing something like

PHPdig so decided to have a look at atomz.

I was really impressed with how easy it was to set up. The search works

really well and unlike google's free search, the results page is fully

customizable. In fact the only sign that it's using a third party
service (apart from the results page url) is a tiny graphic at the top

of the page.

Very nice.

Andy

www.message.uk.com/

http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/

Evolt.org conference in London, July 25-27 2003.  Register today at
http://evolt.org.uk