[thelist] Turning off hover for image links?

Joel Konkle-Parker jjk3 at msstate.edu
Wed Jul 23 03:13:19 CDT 2003

> actually, if you toggle images off in your browser you'll see that every
> one
> of them does this, not just the one in the bottom right corner.  the
> problem
> is obvious -- you're setting a background-color on a link with hover
> pseudo-class.  the solutions are obvious as well, either class links
> wrapped
> around images that have background-color set to transparent or never
> use
> images with transparency.

Pardon me if this is a bit nieve, but this seems like an ugly hack for something
that should be included in CSS by default. Images with transparency are a nice
feature nowadays, and to cut them out altogether is not a good solution. Neither
are classes applied specifically to image links. This is essentially putting
style back into the HTML, which CSS was trying to avoid in the first place.

I can see 3 classes of links that could be dealt with independently: image
links, text links, and "anchors" for internal links. Are there any plans in CSS3
to do this?

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster [Ballsome.com]