[thelist] Is my email Spam?

Frank lists at frankmarion.com
Wed Jul 23 13:29:06 CDT 2003

At 01:13 PM 2003-07-23 -0400, you wrote:
>Is there a web application/service (preferably free) out there that will
>test my html email newsletter to see how much it rates as spam?  A 25%
>open rate on my last newsletter makes me worried that the newsletter is
>being considered spam and possibly blocked by AOL or other ISP's.  The
>newsletter is absolutely opt-in, and I would hate to have our subscribers
>not get it because it looks unsolicited.

I've run specifically into the same issue. I'm actually thinking of
creating an app that test the "spam factor" of a particular piece, kind of
like a syntax checker for spamminess. In the meantime, I recommend that you
go check out http://au2.spamassassin.org/index.html  download the
distribution and read up on the rules that they use. It's highly educational.

The second thing I've done is that I've installed k9 (an app that applies
Bayesian filtering rules to add to/replace your local filters) and look at
the rating of each. Mind you, this implies that you've already used it long
enough to teach it what spam looks like (but you can pre-load it with spam
to set your baseline).

If such a beast already exists, however, let me know. It'll save me a lot
of work.

--
Frank Marion     lists at frankmarion.com      Keep the signal high.
If with Yoda so strong is the force , why correct grammar can he not use?