[thelist] CSS: left nav and content area colours not filling to footer

Sarah poohbear at designshift.com
Wed Jul 23 14:54:14 CDT 2003

I have a fairly simple css layout that I want to get working. I'm sure lots
of other people have run across the same problem I am having. Basically, I
want a layout with a header, left navigation area, content area, and a
footer. Each of these areas may have a different background colour (haven't
decided yet). The problem is that the background colours for the left nav
and content areas will not stretch down to the footer if one of the areas
is longer than the other (either one could be the longest, depending on
which page in the site the user is on). I've tried putting them in a
container div and setting the height to 100%, but this doesn't help. I have
set up some sample html files, one with the navigation area longer...
http://sarah.designshift.com/test/20030723-layout-nav.html
...one with the content area longer...
http://sarah.designshift.com/test/20030723-layout-content.html
...and here is the css...